Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Tupelo Automotive Museum to auction unique classics



I learned today the Tupelo Automotive Museum's collection of fabulous vehicles will be auctioned off in April.

If you haven't been to Tupelo, Mississippi, the birthplace of Elvis - the King or Rock and Roll - then it's worth a day trip, cross-country trip, or even an around-the-world trip to see the fine collection of memorable classics. The auction is expected to attract car collectors and antique vehicles enthusiasts from all over the globe.

I was there shortly after it opened 16 years ago and have been back since then for another stroll down a memory lane of dream cars. That's when I came across a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, which I thought had enough chrome to outfit everything else in the museum. I have always been a Jaguar fan and there was no shortage of Jaguars from the 40s and 50s, including a 1948 Jaguar Mark IV, and the most beautiful car I had ever seen - a 1955 Jaguar XK140 - all decked out in what looked like a Pearl White.

I'm sure car buffs from all over the world will convene in Tupelo April 25-27 for the auction of all times. I'll try to be there myself.

It'll be bitter-sweet as the unique vehicles find new owners and homes. I'll miss the cars, but will always have the memories.

Long live the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment